Friday, June 3, 2011

Matters in My Own Hands/Home School vs. Public School

I've gotten to the point where I don't give a rip snort who says what. Not Nicky's social worker, not respite care and not even his shrinks. My back was to the wall, just about every day, Nicky was in tears. Some bully said one thing or did another. I'd call the school, and perhaps it would stop for the day and start up once again and his grades were being affected, so was his self-esteem.

My younger brother had pointed out that K12 program to me. I mulled it around as I watched my son's spirit sink lower and lower. I began to think about his surgery, that he may not be walking well by the time fall of '11' rolled about, and what bullies could do to him again.

There's also a lot of hazing done to the eighth graders.

I gathered information and decided that I am going to do the K12 route. There is a teacher involved, Nicky loves to learn, and without the distraction of bullies taunting him, he might actually be able to flourish. The fate was sealed, when in absolute frustration, he hit one of his bullies and told on himself.

As a parent, we aren't supposed to put our children in danger, it got to the point where I felt like I was putting him in danger every single time I sent him out the door.

We can find other ways for him to get social interaction. There's the Special Olympics and what have you for him. Social interaction isn't about fighting your tears as several kids torment you and do everything they can to make you cry.

I just can't do it anymore. I can't allow him to be hurt like that. So, I've started the process of this K12 so he never has to step foot into that school again, and if anyone disagrees, let THEM bodyguard Nicky every second and make sure he isn't tormented.

No comments:

Post a Comment